Friday, July 15, 2011

Job Hunting!

As it is halfway through Summer, Spring o' 2011 grads are either preparing for graduate school, taking time off to travel, doing internships or DUN DUN DUNNN...looking for a 'real' job. There are a good number of people I know who haven't worked any jobs during the duration of their college years and a couple have asked me for help with their resumes, cover letters or job hunting itself. It's not that I'm particularly great at finding or getting jobs but I have had a number more interviews and applications than some of my fellow graduates. (So far...job interviews: 8, jobs gotten: 6..not a bad percentage. The other two I was totally out of my league on anyhow.) Right now I'm working 4 part-time jobs, though three out of four are VERY part time (once every week or two) and the fourth is almost full-time (30+hours a week). But my full-time (almost) campus job ends next month so I'm looking for a new day job (most of my other part-time jobs are in the evenings/weekend). I've had two years of office experience so I'm looking to go into some kind of admin/office work or possibly ticket sales if I can get a job at a theater (that does concerts or shows, not a movie theater XD) since I have also done clerk/sales work for two years as well. So we'll see! I am applying for jobs basically every other day whenever something shows up on Craigslist, the Berkeley Careers page, or any of the theaters I'm interested in working at locally.

So here are a few tips that can be useful when job hunting, applying and interviewing! (from my own personal experience, may or may not prove useful <.< That's a disclaimer!)
  • Based on your skill set (work with computers, knowledge of other languages etc), use the 'job type' option on CL to see jobs that are outside of your main city. Sometimes they might just be a city over and commuting to a worthwhile job isn't all that bad. Also, the 'gigs' page on CL can be useful to find part-time work as a personal assistant, gardener, petsitter etc. 
  • Most of these job finding websites will NOT prove to be that useful. I haven't gotten any luck with any big companies using sites such as monster.com, BUT if you know some companies you might be interested in working for, just go to their main site and apply there! If they are not hiring or do not have a 'careers' page, send them an email to get your foot in the door and express your interest for when they are. 
  • Ask around! Friends in the right places can definitely be beneficial and lucky in the search for getting a job. Some people might have seen ads around town that a place is hiring or know someone who is looking for more employees. That is how I found my fourth job through my work supervisor! 
  • Find and keep good connections with your work references. If they are bosses you have worked with, I hope your time at their company ended well! For personal references, teachers/professors or any group you have volunteered with before could prove useful. Make sure to drop them a line and let them know that you are using them on your resume if they are ever contacted. 
  • Have your resume prepared and updated any time you are job searching. If you find a job you want to apply for right away, then you have nothing holding you back!
  • Create a universal cover letter with a 'general' outline of your quality attributes and what would make you suited to work for a company. Chances are, they will be looking for similar qualities for no matter what job you are applying and you can rather easily edit parts to include their job description, your interest in it etc. Then you don't have to type up a new cover letter every time you are applying for a different job that requires one.
  • Don't be afraid to talk yourself up! Don't discredit yourself by not listing all the things you have done (but don't add too much fluff -irrelevant info-!) in certain job positions or any promoted statuses you may have received. If you have had leadership positions in any form, employers want to see that! 
  • If you have a lot of volunteer experience, use that in the 'Additional Work/Volunteer Experience' portion of your resume. You don't have to go 10 years back to your work at the Summer Library Program when you were in middle school, but any club or organization that you were a part of for an extended amount of time (I would say 6months+) will make you seem like you weren't lazing about all those years in school. 
  • Dress well for an interview. For men, a business suit attire is appropriate. Women can wear either a pant suit or nice skirt with blouse. Jeans and flip-flops are never appropriate. If the interview seems like it will be casual, still wear something more dressed up than shorts and a T-shirt. 
  • If there are things you can prepare for before interviewing, do so! If you are applying to work for a company that you aren't too familiar with, do your research and find out their main policies, what they are known for and how you can fit what they are looking for and be an asset to their team. Depending on the position, they will ask you questions like (ex. customer service position), 'What was the best and worst customer service you ever received?' Getting asked a question like that on the spot can take a while to think of an answer for! Also, think of 3 adjectives to describe yourself. That shows up in a lot of random interviews. 
  • Make sure to let your possible employer know what day you can start work and what your hours are. Getting hired means nothing if you end up with shifts you can't work because you didn't discuss it previously. This can also be mentioned in your cover letter to clarify beforehand. 
  • If pay is not brought up, don't hesitate to bring it to the table. It is rather important after all! Ask if there is a starting wage/hourly rate/salary and if it increases, if you are working in a restaurant, ask how much percentage in tips you will receive, etc.
  • Ask about your company's dress code and what you will be expected to wear to work every day. If it turns out they are supplying you with a uniform, great! But if you suddenly need business casual attire for every day of the week and are unprepared, that can get costly. 
  • Make sure to address your interviewer by name and make sure they know YOUR name by the end of the interview. Chances are, they could be your new supervisor and you want to establish a good relationship and make a good impression on whatever company employees you encounter. 
  • Show personality! Don't be nervous and get afraid to be yourself. Just be friendly and outgoing, but also, make sure to be polite, well-spoken and informed before you just show up.
I'm pretty sure there are a number of things I have forgotten but I will add them in as I remember :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment